2022 Mulholland Challenge Double Century

 



Overview

This is one of the toughest double centuries on the California Triple Crown circuit. 

The first 106 miles or so has 12,273 feet of elevation gain and is very tough. There is really no section that gives you much relief. You either are climbing or doing a technical descent on most of it. 


Map and profile of the first half


The second half of the double century is a little more forgiving with only  5,722 feet of gain. There is a very tough climb leaving town on the second half up Westlake Blvd that is a killer but once past that, there is a nice descent to the coast and some forgiving and flat to rolling miles for quite some time before the final climbs to the finish. 

Map and profile of the second loop





I have been on the staff of the ride for quite a few years. It is one of my favorites to staff because I live in the area and the event is on all my training routes. 
In fact, a few years back, Planet Ultra asked me to help out with the course a bit. I helped with some suggestions on the first part of the course plus I designed the second half of the double century. 
It was really tough to design that second part of the double century! Any more riding near the Santa Monica Mountains would obviously bring the elevation gain rather quickly over 20,000 feet. 
That is why I routed it to the north-west and north before returning in a southerly direction to the finish. There are still a few good climbs but not the intense type like in the Santa Monicas. 

Event Day

The week before the event, we had a major heatwave. The temps were over 100 degrees in the area for about a week with some cooling for event day.

 It did not cool much though. The riders had a nice cool morning but the on-bike temps were easily in the 90s for some of the climbs. There was a lot of suffering going on, especially on the last major climb of the first century, Decker Canyon.


Below are a few pics of event day and my rest stop at the top of Decker Canyon.




The riders were very relieved to see this sign.


Your Decker Fire Station support crew. Chris, Margaret, and I.



My friend Ron is a good example of the way people felt at mile 90+ of the century.





Our hosts. The LA County Fire Dept.




Staff Ride


The last two times I did this event I told myself I was not going to do it again. It is just getting too hard at my age.
I will be 70 in July and am really starting to feel my age as far as my climbing strength is concerned. 
I still feel very steady and strong on long-distance rides and events that don't have really steep climbs. Anything 6% and under, I still feel good. It's those 10-20+% nasty ones that kill me now!

Well...I went and did it again.
 I decided to do the event again the Monday after event day. The weather was supposed to change drastically and be much cooler which is perfect for me. I would rather be a little cold and damp than overheated. Older people don't do so well in the heat, especially me. I really have to watch it.



Another issue.

My cardiologist now has me on a low-dose, beta-blocker medication. This medication slows the heart rate. I have adapted well to the new medication but on long steady or steep climbs, physically being unable to raise the heart rate is a hindrance to performance. It just feels like I don't have any strength in my legs. I can get the climb done, but much slower than my old pace. 
That being said, on long and steady distances, I still feel really strong and the lower heart rate does not seem to be much of a problem.


The last time I did this event as a staff ride was in 2020 when all the rides were being done virtually due to the pandemic. 
I started on a Sunday afternoon at around 3pm all by myself and did the new course that we had just updated. It was a great ride. I started from home and rode up to the course, did the full course, then rode home. It was a bit lonely riding up in those mountains through the night and very foggy at some points. I saw very few cars after it got dark. I only saw animals. 


This year, I asked my friend Memo to join me and he jumped right in. In fact, he was thinking of also doing it on the same day. 

We decided on starting at 2am to get the first sections out of the way early in the morning before any traffic.

We met at the start hotel and parked in the back. At this event, the course stops at the hotel 2 times during the event, so it is really good for re-supplying when doing a staff ride. We had ice chests with food and drink in our cars. 



Ready to roll. 2am

Part one

 Mile 0-57.2  
Elevation gain: 6,413 feet

It was really nice heading out early. The course was empty of traffic on the first section on Mulholland, Topanga Canyon, and Old Topanga. 




Interesting picture of me in the dark

We just rode nice and easy. It was in the low 50's and got as low as the high 40's descending Topanga Canyon. Once on Old Topanga, we warmed up again. 
Memo had some water stashed near where the first check-point was on the event day.
 
We made a quick stop for water and headed back up the hill.
Over the summit, we went and then back down to Mulholland Highway once again. A left turn, up over the Calabasas Wall, then another left turn on to infamous Stunt Road. 

Stunt Road is well known for the old car chase and race movies from the past. It is a tough climb with about 1,400 feet of elevation gain in just a few miles. It summits up on Saddle Peak. 
We stopped 3/4 of the way up for another water stop at a homeowner's roadside drinking fountain. The homeowner put this fountain in many years ago for cyclists and hikers. What a cool thing to do!! 

We summited quickly after that and then descended off Saddle Peak on Schueren Road. It was really foggy at one point on this short descent and we had to slow way down.

We now made a right turn on Piuma Road for a short climb up the ocean side to the summit, before a long descent back down to Cold Canyon on the Mulholland side of the mountain. 

Over the top, we went into the clouds, barely able to see in front of us. It was damp but the road was not wet. 

Now we started the long descent.

Near the very top, just as it starts getting steep, it was really hard to see. 

I hit a bike engulfing pothole that would have taken out any other bike and rider on the spot. I think what saved me was riding my gravel bike with the compression headset. I, sort of, rolled through it. It scared the heck out of me but with my fast reaction time, I got through it. 
What I didn't notice or see, was my phone going Airborn out of my frame bag and flying over my head and to the ground. I wouldn't notice this until later. 

I took it really easy on the next section of the descent making sure that my tires were not going flat from that nasty hit they took. They were fine so, after descending below the cloud bank, I picked the speed up. 

We made the turn on Cold Creek and to my surprise, Cold Creek was not its freezing self. I think the cloud cover was helping. 

We made the very steep 13% pitch out of Cold Canyon look easy and were back on Mulholland heading back to the hotel. 

Memo climbing out of Cold Canyon

Some more climbing on the westbound section of Mulholland to Cornell Road and we were back at the hotel in no time. 

I went into my bag to retrieve my phone and call my wife and guess what. No phone. My backup battery was there but not the phone. 
I freaked out. 
Memo immediately called my phone hoping someone would answer it.
Well...I guess someone was looking after me. 
Someone did answer my phone. A local that was out for a jog found it and answered it. What are the chances in such a remote area? 
He said he was going by the Lost Hills Sheriffs Station and would leave it there to be picked up. 
We called my wife and she went by and picked it up while we continued on our little adventure. 

We had a bite to eat, filled our bottles, and were off. 

Stocking up for the next section


Part 2

 The nasty loop. Mile 57.2 to 106.    
    Elevation gain: 5,853 feet

 
This next section has a little less climbing and mileage than the first section but contains the really nasty climbs, mainly Westlake Blvd,  Cotharin Road, Pacific View, and Decker Canyon.

We headed out of the hotel once again.

We had a nice easy stroll through town before heading up the very tough Westlake climb. 




Early morning at Westlake





This climb takes you out of Westlake Village and up into the Santa Monicas. It starts with a gradual climb then kicks up to 17-22% for a short time before leveling to 7-10% to the summit where it joins Mulholland Hwy for a short time.
 It's really tough. 

It is not the only time we do this climb at the event. Some crazy masochist put it in the second half of the double century. 
We have to get to the coast somehow, right? 

Once we got to the steep part, I held back a little so I could get a picture of Memo starting the really bad section. I then attacked it at a massive 3-4 mph in my lowest gear. Damn, that was tough!!!

Memo is about to hit the really steep part


Over we went and made the turn on Mulholland where we stopped once again to top off the water at one of Memo's water stash locations. 

Time for the next climb...Little Sycamore/Yerba Buena.

This is a really nice climb with spectacular ocean views. The cloud cover on this day hindered the view though and it was not so good. 
Little Sycamore

Over we went for a nice descent down Yerba Buena to our next stop, Circle X Ranch.

A short stop and we continued down to Cotharin Road. 


Circle X Ranch


As soon as you make the right turn on Cotharin Road, you have a little flat section and then it kicks up to 12- 14% for quite some time until you reach the summit. We both did this fairly quickly but it wasn't easy. 

We now had rollers with some pretty good kickers to the summit of Deer Creek Road.

Pacific View Road. 





Looking down on Cotharin Road from above




The Deer Creek climb/descent is infamous.

This is the descent where I blew up a tire during the staff ride a few years back on my tandem. The damage to my rear rim was not pretty. 
Many other people have gone down or delaminated carbon wheels by overheating them on this descent.

The descent averages 11% and it dives from the summit down to the coast. It is very deceiving. 

Below is the video I took many years ago from my tandem on this very event. It is called "The Great Gig in the Sky", with music by Pink Floyd. 
A fitting song for a very dangerous and scary descent. 
A great view of the whole descent.


On this day we took it easy and made it down nicely to the coast. 

We made the left turn and now had a nice tailwind while riding Pacific Coast Hwy in a southbound direction before starting the next climb. It was very refreshing and the little climbs along the coast were effortless. 

Next climb...Decker Canyon. 

This is the climb I always dread. 

Decker Canyon used to be at mile 160 on the old Mulholland Double Century course which made it much tougher. It is very tough no matter what time you do it though. 
The new double century course is so front-loaded and has Decker toward the end of the first century.

The climb starts from the coast at around 14-17% straight up before you reach a switchback that gives you a little relief. You then climb a 12-14% wall that just seems to go on forever. There is then a little relief but it is short-lived as you have many more steep sections before reaching the fire station. 

I had to stop a few times on the way up as my lower back just couldn't handle the intense climbing. 



We made it up though and were so relieved to be close to finishing the first century. The sun was now out but it was still cool. 


The wind was coming up already and I was getting worried.
There was a gale warning issued for the coast for this very day. I was hoping that we would just get the standard mild westerlies when we did the next loop up the coast. 

Topping off with water after the tough climb up Decker Canyon

We now descended upper Encinal Canyon, climbed out, and reconnected with Mulholland before descending the infamous Rock Store Snake. 

This descent has been open only to hikers and cyclists since the terrible Woolsey Fire in 2018. It is great to have it to ourselves when riding. 
We made it down nicely, rode around Malibou Lake, and then back to the hotel for lunch. 
Descending The Rock Store Snake.
Riding around Malibou Lake


Wow...I say it every time I have done this new course. "The first century feels like a tough double century."

As soon as we got back to the hotel, Deb from Planet Ultra came out to see how we were doing and to say goodbye as she was leaving to head back to Utah. I had my GPS tracker running during the ride so she saw us coming. 



Part 3

The final century loop          Mile 106-198 
 Elevation gain: 5,722 feet



After our lunch stop, we headed out on the same route as the second of the century ride. 

Now for the crazy Westlake climb again.   (What was I thinking!)

Once over that, we hoped to get a little respite from the climbing and hoped the forecast gale-force winds do not materialize.

Up, up we went again  This time I had to stop and walk the little steep section. I actually walked it as fast as I rode it the first time.  I got back on after a short stretch of my back and headed up the hill. It was much tougher than the first time but I got it done. Memo just took off and did very well.
I think, in hindsight, I could have used a couple more low gears.

I met Memo at the fire station where we topped off our water to get us up the coast. The wind at the top did not look good. 

Now we descended the ocean side of Encinal Canyon to Pacific Coast Hwy.

The wind was pretty bad descending and at the points where we could see the ocean, we knew we were in for it. 

The ocean was covered with white caps. The wind was howling out of the west! The gale had begun and we knew we were in for it. 

We reached the bottom and our trek up the coast began.

The wind was a steady 15 mph out of the west and gusting to 30-40. The trip up the coast was tough.


The best speed we could make between reaching the coast and Point Mugu was 9-11mph. I was really glad I had aero bars. 

Once to our turnoff on Los Posas Road, we got a little break for a couple miles as we rode along the frontage road to the Naval Air Station. The wind was blocked by the fence and the houses. 

We got a great surprise when we reach the Point Mugu Missile Park at the end of the runway.


Our friend Danny was there with his family to supply us with food and water. What a guy!!
We refilled our water and grabbed a bite, said thanks to Danny, and headed onward. 

We had a crosswind while traversing over to Hueneme Road. 

I know the couple miles on Hueneme Road would be tough and directly into the wind. It was bad but not too long. 

We now made a turn toward the north on Rice Road where we had a terrible crosswind for about 3 miles. I was leaning my bike 45 degrees for a while into the wind. Every time a truck would pass, it would break the wind and I would get blasted. 

Soon it became a tailwind as we headed toward and out of Oxnard. That part was great but short-lived as we're soon to start climbing again around the Somis and Moorpark area. 

Now we were amongst the citrus and avocado orchards. A really beautiful area. We didn't have too much wind in this area.
Citrus everywhere

I was really spent at this point and was feeling like I had gotten behind on my nutrition. I pumped down some more food and liquid endurance fuel. I was hoping it would kick in before we had the final steep climb out of the area. 

Sun is getting low. Heading toward Moorpark

The sun was getting low now and it was really chilling down as we reached Moorpark and Spring Street. 
We put our cold gear on and headed down the hill into Moorpark proper. We made one more water stop at the little park on Spring Street just before our turn on Tierra Rejada.

The climbing is deceptive on the last 30 or so miles. There are a lot of rollers and kickers that just zap you. It seems to take forever to get to Potrero road and the final major climb before the finish. 



I had a hard time keeping up with Memo and just decided to go at my normal pace which I can keep up forever. Always go at your pace. Everyone is different. 

After what seemed like forever and gale force winds again on Lewis Road, we finally made it to Potrero Road. Now we had a blasting tailwind up the hill and to the finish. 

Believe it or not, I started to get some new strength on this last climb which I was dreading. I felt great climbing Potrero and all the way to the finish. In fact, I felt like I could do another 100 when I got back toward the final stretch on Agoura Road. I think it may have been the tailwind or lack of wind. We had been fighting so much wind on the last 100 that it just felt good.

We rolled into the finish around 10:15.

Triple Crown Double Century number 182 is now in the books. 

It took me quite a few days to recover from this one at my age but I feel very accomplished to have finished another Mulholland Double.

Thanks to Planet Ultra for another epic event.

Thanks, Deb for coming out to check on us at the hotel before heading home to Utah. 

And a special thanks to my buddy Memo for the great company during this very tough event. Congratulations on finishing an epic one. 

All the photos from our ride and event day are HERE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

XDV Carmel Valley Double Century 2023

2023: Early Season Events

2023 Hoodoo 500 Ultra Marathon Bike Race